Departments give you the power to distribute conversations and assign various agents to specific departments. For example, you can create a department entitled “Sales” and assign specific conversations to that department. To start using departments, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > Miscellaneous and add your required departments. After saving, reload the page.
- Go to Users > Agents and edit an agent, you will see a new field where you can set the department of the agent.
- Reload the page and you’re done! In the Conversations area, you will now see an option to set the department.
- Display in dashboard Displays the departments’ list in the chat dashboard and force users to choose a department before starting a conversation.
- Display images Displays the department image instead of the department color.
- Label Replace the label Departments (plural) with another text. The name is displayed in the admin and tickets area.
- Label single Replace the label Department (singular) with another text. The name is displayed in the admin and tickets area.
- Dashboard title Set the title of the chat dashboard list. Default: Departments.
How it works #
- Agents and admins can only access conversations, users, and agents that have been assigned to their specific department.
- When an agent is assigned to a new department, an email notification is sent to all of the agents assigned to the new department.
- The General department is global and gives agents access to all of the conversations within all departments. Also, all agents without a department are automatically assigned to the General department.
- Admins with no assigned department always see the conversations of all departments.
- The chatbot can assign a department to the active conversation via dialogflow actions.
How to assign a department #
You can assign a department to a conversation in several ways:
- Via Settings > Miscellaneous > Departments settings > Display in dashboard. This setting will force the user to choose a department when starting a new conversation.
- Via Settings > Automations > More.